It is located at the crossroads of Pennsylvania Routes 926 and 82, between Kennett Square and Unionville, Pennsylvania. In addition, it is very close to Longwood Gardens and a 20-minute drive from downtown Wilmington, DE.
Originally the crossroads was called Taggarts Crossroads for the Taggart family, who owned a stone inn constructed in 1730 and is still extant on the Northwest corner of the crossroads. Another 18th-century house, standing on the Northeast section of the crossroads, is a quaint fieldstone house, once mentioned in an article as being the “Oldest House West of the Brandywine.” While that title can be disputed between other homesteads, it is still an ancient structure. On September 11th, 1777, British forces under Lord Charles Cornwallis’ marched directly through the quiet crossroads in the morning. The route Cornwallis took was a flanking maneuver in which he was to surprise and flank Washington instead of confronting his main force at Chadds Ford. When Cornwallis reached the crossroads, he encountered a small party of American troops under Lieutenant Colonel James Ross of the 8th Pennsylvania regiment. Ross, who was part of the many pickets lines General Washington’s forces used that day, fired three shots before retreating and later following the rearguard of the British army skirmishing with them along the Great Valley Road before reporting his findings of a flanking maneuver to Washington.